Monday, July 5, 2010

Worn out slippers. . . . . . a dream come true

I want to start this blog by sharing to all of you the story of my mother. Maybe her story is quite normal or ordinary to some of you but I still hope that her story inspires you.


 My mom is a product of arranged marriage. Her mother was married to her father at 17. Grandpa was a teacher at that time. An over jealous husband he was, so their married life didn't last and they separated before my mother's first birthday.

My mom grew up with her stepfather. She had 9 step brothers and sisters with her mother's new family. Her real father want to get her but my grandma didn't agree. Being the eldest in the family, my mother took care of her 9 siblings. Even if she went to school in elementary, she needs to go back to their home during recess time to check her siblings and to cook their food. Sometimes she needs to leave her class just to check her siblings.

I can still remembered her story of going to school with just a plastic bag. According to her, she never experienced of going to school with a new uniform and school bag. She didn't even experienced of going to school wearing new shoes, instead what she only has was a worn out slippers (known as "sipit"). 



My mother didn't even went to College. At an early age, she was sent to their relatives and work as a house helper. And, during payday, she will just learned that her mother has already took her salary leaving her not even a single cent. But some person are still good. My mother's Aunt sent her to a Vocational School where she took Cosmetology.

My mother is a good looking lady that is why my father fall for her. Tatay pursued Mama and they get married. Tatay thought that Mama really loves him but the truth is that Mama thought at that time that if a man kisses a woman, she will become pregnant. That's the main reason why my mother agreed to marry my father. Later on, Mama find love in her heart and their marriage were blessed with four children. 

When all of us were studying, we experienced some financial difficulties. It is just normal considering that Tatay is a farmer and Mama is just a plain housewife. I can still remember when I was in elementary. Mama will repaired her old dresses so I can have new dress during christmas party. Seeing the dress made by my mother makes me so happy that time. 

While in high school, my landlady told me that she will kick me out of the boarding house if my mother will not  take care of her son. I know how hard it is for Mama but she did it. She agreed to become the nanny of my landlady's son. I'm crying that time knowing that my landlady is still our cousins.

My family have encountered again such kind of treatment from my Uncles. Tatay was working in the farm that time when my uncle ask for something. Considering that were four whom he needs to send to school, Tatay didn't agree with my uncle. He told my uncle that he works hard for that harvest for his family but my uncle didn't understand and told my father that he (my uncle) can still eat without that farm not like my father who can't feed us without that farm. Father and Mother were insulted but stay quite. My other uncle even asked for the title of our land when Tatay ask for help. Knowing all this thing, I promise to myself that someday, it will changed.
Since Mama is always out of the house to work as a house helper to help Tatay in sending us to school, Tatay got an affair with one of our neighbor. Mama was furious and got a heart attack. I was so angry that time. I don't even let Tatay stay with us. We didn't talk for a long time. Even if he's there inside the house, I pretended that he's not there. I'm so angry because he didn't even value the sacrifices of my mother. I know how hard it is to Mama because I saw how she worked and it's always hurt me to see her serving other people. My father's infidelity made my mother a strong woman. She continuously works until all of us graduated. She always told us to study and work hard.. She told me that we  need  to help each other because she didn't want us to be like her. From that day, I never saw her tired, what I can only remember is the woman fighting for her family and it drives me to persevere also. 

God never failed the person with a good heart. He makes sure that the only thing that can make mother happy will come true. And in March 2006, it paid off. Our youngest graduated. All of us got a job and we requested Mama to stop working and just stay with the house build by my sister for her and for Tatay. Our parents reconciled but sometimes they still argue of the past. 

We love our mother very much and today, we always try to give her everything she wants which she never had during her childhood. I am very proud that she's my mother and if God will give me the chance to choose if who will be my mother in my next life, I will still choose her because for me she's the best mother in the whole world.

Love you very much Ma. You will be my SuperMom forever. :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment